2.04.2010

Sh**ty first drafts

So, as part of my creative energy inititative, I'm reading again. I'm reading books and magazines that are not about marriage or weddings, but I found this particular chapter in Anne Lamott's Bird by Bird to be absolutely hilariously and poignantly about marriage and weddings and life and perfection getting it "right" the first time.

In her chapter "Shitty First Drafts," Lamott writes: "In fact, the only way I can get anything written at all is to write really, really shitty first drafts. ...The first draft is the child's draft, where you let it all pour out and then let it romp all over the place, knowing that no one is going to see it and that you can shape it later."

Ohmygosh. Oh. My. Gosh. If this isn't a sentence worth saving, I'm not sure I've read one. Patrick and I have been married 9 months now (holy matrimony!), and this first year is everything like a crummy first version of something wonderful. Lots of energy, excitement, let downs, etc. We're letting things just romp around and pour out. We'll figure them out later.

This is where I feel kind of sad for couples (and brides) who get so focused on the idea of the "perfect" day and the "fairytale" of finally marrying the love of your life. Now, friends, I did have that day and do feel like I scored the "happily ever after." But, I never thought any of it was going to be flawless. That's where a "child's draft" kind of fairytale seems pretty perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment