1.09.2009

Trends, schmends...

Bulletin: I just got my "hot trends for 2009" e-mail from theknot.com. Ew. I would not consider myself a trendy person. More of a classic and timeless kind of person. So imagine my surprise to find out that things I decided to do all on my own are, apparently "hot new trends"... patterns on the tables (our runners), "rustic, homespun details" (birds nest flower girl basket, moss covered pomander, home-cooked style food, etc.), jewel tones and bright pops of color (navy, green, and orange!), two-tiered wedding cakes with other desserts to accent (Ugh...our small cake and pies!), and non-traditional centerpiece vessels (ball jars). I guess I'm either trendy or a trendsetter, then?This whole time of planning I've been pushing against the idea that things have to be a certain way. My two maids of honor and something blue girls are one example. I don't want to be trendy, but I'm trying to make the wedding about "us" rather than about the wedding industry. But, as we move closer and closer to the date, I surprise myself by reverting to things that are traditional: I will probably hire an organist after all; we're getting married in a church; etc. At first I thought there might be something wrong with that, but I'm coming around. These kinds of things are comfortable, tradition (in many cases) is good, and life is too short to worry about the perfect non-traditional song by which to float down the aisle. I guess that life is too short to worry about being too trendy, too, right? Why am I worrying about any of this....sigh. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment