11.14.2008

Bridezilla attacks!


Everyone has heard of a “bridezilla.” The crazed bride who wants things a perfect, certain way for eight hours of her life no-matter-what-for-goodness-sakes. Or the panicked woman barking orders, making strange demands, complaining about every person/thing/decision in her path. And I would venture to guess that most brides (present and past) vowed never to behave in such a manner. I am one of those who disavowed the monster. Lately, though, it seems like I am on edge, emotional, distracted, and hyper-sensitive about, well, pretty much everything. I am beginning to feel like the beast, rather than the beauty.

Take it for what it is (which is rationalizing irrational behavior), but I empathize with those brides who've gone before me who may have teetered on the edge of sanity. You see, right now in my life everything I am doing, everything happening in my life -- from grocery shopping to home decorating, to choosing bouquet flowers and rehearsal dinner locations -- seems to be connected to or affected by the fact that in 170-some days I'll be a wife and we'll be a married couple. That's a lot to process. There are many details, reception/cemony-related and little life details like name changes, job changes, merging routines.

In the midst of this HUGE thing, it's hard to remember that others are not impacted in the same way by your life event. No bride needs a swarovski-crystal-encrusted, monogrammed aisle runner, a la Platinum Weddings. The world does not stop turning and life does not stop happening, and as a bride I must remember that.

BUT, I am firm in my belief that a wedding and all of the events surrounding it are enough to make a gal's head spin a little, to make her do silly things, forget, overreact, procrastinate, etc. And I think that, within reason, us brides should get a little bit of a benefit of the doubt when it comes to emotions. And I guess I have to afford myself that break, too, by remembering to not forget about other things, other events, other lives in the middle of the craziness.

*I found the hilarious illustration on the Web, but I have no idea where it originated!

1 comment:

  1. Presh! I didn't give you permission to use my photo! Love you!

    ReplyDelete